- 16 Mar 2017 - 17 Mar 2017
- UNESCO-IHE, Westvest 7, 2611 AX Delft
This international conference brings together scientists, algaeneers and practitioners to exchange the latest knowledge on the application of algae for wastewater treatment and resource recovery.
Wastewater engineers using algae can benefit from knowledge coming from the use of algae to produce biofuels, food supplements or green pharmaceuticals. Likewise, wastewater as a cheap source of nutrients and inorganic carbon is promising for the production of algae-based commodities. For example, algae based treatment systems in developing world tropical countries, may reduce wastewater treatment costs via the recovery of its inherent resources.
The conference offers an overview and discussion of the latest scientific developments and practical applications in these fields.
Key note speakers
- Prof. dr. ir. Rene Wijffels, Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- Frank Rogalla, Director of Innovation and Technology, FCC Aqualia, Spain
The main purpose of the 1st IWA Conference on Algal Technologies for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery is to bring together scientists, algaeneers and practitioners and act as a discussion and knowledge-sharing platform on the latest developments on algal technologies. Thus, scientists, algaeneers and practitioners will discuss the following themes:
- High rate algae ponds, photo-activated sludge and microalgae-bacterial flocs
- Photo-bioreactor design
- Phototrophic biofilms and granules
- Experimental methods, algal respirometry, monitoring, modeling and process control
- Algal microbial interactions and mixed culture ecology
- Macroalgae-based technologies
- Algae based wastewater treatment
- Biodiesel and biogas production from algae grown in wastewater
- Waste gas treatment and greenhouse gas capture
- Algae downstream processing to valuable products
- Algae-based nutrient removal and recovery
- Algae systems in a circular economy
The presentation formats are oral and poster presentations and can include lab- and full-scale research and case studies on the aforementioned topics.
- Early-bird registration: January 15th, 2017
- Submission of outline-papers and power point presentations: March 10th, 2017
- Conference: March 16-17th, 2017
Download the preliminary programme here.
For more information about the programme contact us 1stIWAConferenceAlgalTech@unesco-ihe.org
Please fill in the registration form if you wish to attend this conference.