Participants are invited from government and non-government institutions and universities directly or indirectly engaged in the broader field of land and water development with particular emphasis in spate irrigation development and water resources management.
Participants should at least have a BSc degree in any land and water development field and good basic knowledge of spate irrigation practices and principles. Computer literacy is highly preferred.
The course consists of lectures, case studies and group work assignments. It is organized into six modules:
- Introduction: overview of spate irrigation system development and management concepts and practices;
- Spate hydrology and engineering;
- Soil and water conservation and management;
- Organization and water governance;
- Spate irrigation agronomy;
- Case studies and group assignments.
The spate irrigation and water resource management professionals to lead the lectures, discussions and assignments are:
- Prof. Bart Schultz, Professor of Land and Water Development, UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education, Delft, the Netherlands (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Frank van Steenbergen, Spate Irrigation and Water Resource Management Expert, and Director, MetaMeta Pvt Limited Company, Den Bosch, the Netherlands (email@example.com)
- Dr. Ian McAllister Anderson, Senior Irrigation Engineer, and Director, Irrigation and Engineering Services Limited, United Kingdom (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Philip Lawrence, Senior Expert in Sediment Transport and Management in Irrigation Canals, HR Wallingford Ltd, United Kingdom (email@example.com)
- Dr. Peter Paul Mollinga, Senior Researcher, Interdisciplinary Analyses of Irrigation and Water Resource Management, ZEF, Center for Development Research, Bonn, Germany (firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com)
- Dr. Abraham Mehari Haile, course coordinator, Lecturer in Land and Water Development, Spate Irrigation Design and Management Expert, UNESC0-IHE Institute for Water Education, the Netherlands (firstname.lastname@example.org)